Wow. Just Wow. , emphasis added:
Oakland lost its third police chief in eight days Friday as it struggles with allegations that a number of officers had sex with a teenage prostitute and exchanged racist text messages.
Mayor Libby Schaaf said acting Police Chief Paul Figueroa was on the job for two days before stepping down but said his decision was not connected to the two scandals.
However, she denounced the department's "toxic, macho culture" and vowed to root out "the bad apples."
"As the mayor of Oakland, I'm here to run a police department, not a frat house," Schaaf told a news conference Friday evening.
Schaaf said she will not immediately appoint an acting or interim chief. Instead, the command staff will report to City Administrator Sabrina Landreth, who will be responsible for personnel and disciplinary decisions.
"This is the appropriate time to install civilian oversight in this police department," Schaaf told a news conference Friday evening. "I want to assure the citizens of Oakland that we are hell bent on rooting out this disgusting culture."
provided this list of what has allegedly gone on in Oakland. Where in the hell is the state AG or even the DOJ on this?
1) a cop kills his wife
2) fellow officers help him cover up the crime, and the dead cop's wife death is ruled a suicide
3) that same cop, who people now believe killed his wife, commits actual suicide
4) the cop leaves behind a suicide note that reveals that him, and some of his fellow officers, had been raping a child trafficking victim
5) apparently, an investigation begins to reveal that several officers have, in fact, commuted child rape
6) after the child trafficking victim turns 18, more cops start paying her for sex; some of this happened in the Oakland PD parking lot
7) as the investigation continues, it's alleged that the Oakland PD chief's wife knew about the child trafficking victim rape all along
8) for this, and possibly additional reasons, Oakland PD chief steps down: whether he knew what his wife knew or not, he's unfit to lead
9) the Oakland PD chief's wife publicly tweets that "it's bullshit" right after her husband is fired
9) Oakland's mayor says the chief stepped down for "personal reasons." Girl I GUESS if you call knowledge of child rape a personal thing
10) muck racking reporters break the lid off the story and Oakland's mayor doubles down, basically saying they're lying
11) new chief is sworn in but may or may not be connected to child rape case. For whatever reason, he also steps down after a few days
13) a new NEW Oakland PD chief is sworn in and the mayor says he's great and stuff but apparently not because he steps down after two days
14) meanwhile a new scandal, this time surrounding blatantly racist, kkk and n-word having texts from Oakland PD, has emerged
15) Oakland's mayor is somehow still at her job, decides that there just won't BE a police chief because that's how rotten the department is
16) one murder, a cover-up, a suicide, child rape, racist texts, 3 police chiefs in one week; mayor asks the public to trust the process
The interviewed the girl, and she said the officers called her "juvie" for juvenile and promised her tips on when prostitution stings were going down. And the county sheriff is investigating? Sorry, but it sounds like pretty much every police department in the county has some sort of involvement, so most likely so does the sheriff's office.
If it wasn't for Orlando this week, this story would have probably got tons of national attention. It's not too late.